Monday, April 16, 2012

Did Chuckery ever have a Mill?

I have often wondered if there was ever a mill on the Little Darby Creek at Chuckery. And, quite by accident, I found mention of a mill at Chuckery in an April 26, 1904 letter to the editor in the Marysville Evening Tribune. On that date, a Mr. John W. Bryan of Allen Township wrote a letter reminiscing days gone by on the Darby Plains. Mr. Bryan went on to mention the Morse and Fairbanks boys as some of his childhood friends. He then mentioned that when he was a boy, fifty years ago, that the Methodists had just begun to hold services in the old mill property. The letter goes on to list the names of Chuckery residents from the Fairbanks, Converse, and Tucker families who were early members of that Methodist Church.

So, I guess my curiosity will get the better of me. I feel like I need to know more about the Chuckery mill. If anyone knows of this lost mill of yesterday, please share the information with me. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment